A few ways I’ve been shocked by my own culture in the last months:
- Other kinds of foreign language. I approached some people in Aldi, excited that they were speaking another language… only to discover it was a butchered version of my mother tongue.
- The politeness of complete strangers, even if they’re not trying to sell you something!
- The constant busyness. Without lifting a finger to plan, one can manage to walk into a new week with a full schedule.
- The availability of, well, everything. If I can’t find it on a garage sale, I’ll pick it up at Wal-Mart or simply order it from Amazon.
- The quietness. No noisy neighbors at night.
- Menu prices. They’ve already made my eyes pop out more than once.
- Not needing to carry tp with me everywhere I go.
- The evasion of temperature extremes. Cold? No problem! Turn on the heat! Hot? Easy peasy. Turn on the air conditioning!
Little by little, I’m acclimating to my own culture… A journey that will probably continue until I leave it again.